Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Gardening Tasks

With the weather showing firm signs of Spring, I’ve been out in the garden doing some essential gardening tasks in time for this season and the next. I found the Royal Horticultural Society had some excellent advice online for greenhouse growing at this time of year. If you don’t have enough space or you’d like a second ‘greenhouse’ small enough for the patio, I recommend an aluminium coldframe. I’ve been using one to plant out a fresh crop of vegetables and keep them safe. Although the weather is picking up, the one thing that is certain about the British spring is that it can be changeable. I simply don’t want to risk my new shoots succumbing to sudden cold or hungry insects, so snug they stay inside their coldframe. It works a treat.

I’ve also been getting the garden organised for a really great summer. I’ve installed a space saving Garden Wall Store to safely lock the family bicycles out of the way. Outdoor toys and the patio set have all gone neatly into a Garden Chest. Best of all has to be the new patio planter. This going to look stunning as the season unfolds. I’ve put in plenty of bulbs and some delphiniums so soon there should be a positive riot of scent and colour.

I’ve also put in one more feature that the children are very excited about. They always love playing in the garden and are keen to help out with gardening jobs. To see them developing a keen appreciation for nature is so rewarding - it’s so exciting when they name a butterfly, or carefully plant a seed into a pot. This spring, they’re going to get to play outdoors in a purpose designed, sustainably manufactured super newplayhouse. If you remember playing in a special den when you were young, you will no doubt appreciate just how special this is going to be for them. I can’t wait to see if they let me join in their games of pirates and spaceships (work permitting).

No comments: